Thursday, November 27, 2008

Stuffing recipe

This is the recipe I used. I did not use it to stuff my turkey, so I used more stock than the recipe called for since I was baking it in a dish. And I used 1/2 wheat, 1/2 white for the bread cubes. Since we do not have Golden Delicious apples I used a Wojin apple. That is one of only about 3 kinds here. And apples are crazy expensive here, as are potatoes. Gotta love the produce embargoes. Oh, and I added the apples and cranberries to the skillet to warm them through a little before adding to the bread cubes. I am going to get a picture of the green onions sold at the Japanese grocery here. They are huge. You'll see. Someday. I promise. Someday.

  • 1 1/2 cups cubed whole wheat bread
  • 3 3/4 cups cubed white bread
  • 1 pound ground turkey sausage
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 3/4 cup chopped celery
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and chopped
  • 3/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
  • 3/4 cup turkey stock
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the white and whole wheat bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes in the preheated oven, or until evenly toasted. Transfer toasted bread cubes to a large bowl.
  • In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onions over medium heat, stirring and breaking up the lumps until evenly browned. Add the celery, sage, rosemary, and thyme; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend flavors.
  • Pour sausage mixture over bread in bowl. Mix in chopped apples, dried cranberries, and parsley. Drizzle with turkey stock. Spoon into turkey to loosely fill.

3 comments:

Morgan said...

That sounds good!

You MUST make Liz's buttermilk pies, Jess. OMG. They're incredible.

Oh, and I have a new plan. Lynn and Scotty might move to HI if he gets LDO. So, Jerry needs to find a billet at Pearl with Tom and Scotty and we can put the coffee klatsch back together!

Jess said...

You can't have Yee, she's mine!
I already made the plan, I am in Oki waiting for you guys!

I will try the Buttermilk Pie. How was Thanksgiving?

Morgan said...

We can take all of our stuff and a car with us to Hawaii. Oh, and my hubby refuses to go to Oki. So you just hurry up and get Jerry a billet in Hawaii. It will be good...


T day was ok. We went and saw Twilight. I am *so* ready for this year to be over. I never, ever, ever want to do this again. Yes, that is me throwing a fit.